Basic Skills Assessment
Basic Skills Assessment
The Florida Legislature mandates that each student enrolled in a certificate/diploma program must meet required minimum academic skills levels in mathematics, language, and reading in order to receive a Certificate of Completion or an Applied Technology Diploma. Statute requires that all students be assessed before or within the first six weeks of enrollment in a career education program. The Lee Technical Colleges strongly recommend that an assessment be done before registering for a career education program. Standard assessment tools include ACT, SAT, Wonderlic and the TABE. This score is used to determine which programs you are currently prepared to enter, or to identify areas in which you may need to improve.
- Test scores must be no more than two years old at the beginning of a student’s program. The Basic Skills Assessment is given by the Technical Colleges for a nominal charge.
- If a student has previously earned an associate’s degree or higher from an accredited institution, or has recently graduated from a Florida public school with a standard high school diploma, basic skills testing may not be required.
- By providing all post high school educational transcripts to the admissions staff, the need for basic skills assessment can be determined. A counselor will review the basic skills assessments or documentation at the time of registration.
Testing Accommodations – If you are requesting Testing Accommodations, please contact the school at 239-574-4440 at least two weeks prior to testing. Medical documentation of the disability (dated within the last 2 years) must be provided.
Basic Skills Assessment Schedule
Please bring a photo ID and know your social security number. Please wear appropriate clothing – no shorts, tank tops, or flip flops. Cell phones, calculators and electronic devices are not permitted in the testing room and testers may bring bottled water only.
There is a $30 fee to take the Basic Skills Assessment.
Please call 574-4440 during normal school hours, which are from 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. for additional information.
After you complete your assessment, you will may with an admissions specialist to review your scores and discuss enrollment options.
BASIC SKILLS TEST RETEST POLICY
Students requiring remediation based on the test results will follow this policy:
If students choose to participate in remediation:
- Students need to register/enroll in the Applied Academics for Adult Education (Learning Center) at FMTC, Cape Coral Technical College, or Adult Education.
- An individual study program will be developed.
- Upon completion of remediation, the student will retest in the Learning Center.
- Cell phones, pagers, or electronic devices of any type are NOT allowed in any testing session
Students will be allowed to retest without remediation ONE time, the test may be taken no sooner than one week from the original test date. If the student is not successful on the retest, the student will enroll in remediation or show proof of remediation before another test will be granted.
Specific scores are required for application to certain programs or in order to successfully complete a program (see individual program pages). In an effort to avoid over-whelming students enrolled in career classes, we recommend that students complete testing and upgrading prior to career enrollment.
Only students 16 years of age and older may test. Parent permission is required for 16 and 17 year olds. Minor Permission Form.
You may not be required to take the basic skills test if you graduated from a Florida public high school in 2007 or later with a standard diploma, if you are active duty U.S. military, or you have earned a college degree. Meet with the student services to see if you qualify for the exemption.
Please register in advance with our receptionist and pay the fee. Bring your receipt to the test with you.
The fee for taking the basic skills test is $30.
Basic Skills Test Skills Remediation
Remediation for career classes requires enrollment in an Applied Academics course
- The cost is $30 – must register in the front office with an Admissions Specialist
- Instruction is individualized per each student’s results.
- Re-testing allowed after 60 hours of remediation